The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism reported that as per the end of last year, approximately 25 percent of Americans over the age of 18 were struggling with binge drinking and alcohol dependency. We have also established that on average 66,000 men and 26,000 women die from alcoholism related causes. This makes alcoholism the fourth leading cause of preventable deaths in the country. More than 10 percent of the Country’s children live with a parent who has alcohol abuse issues. Unfortunately, less than 2 percent of these people seek professional help to quit from any rehab centre for alcoholics.
Recognizing the symptoms of abuse
As experts in drug and substance abuse and rehabilitation, we have realized that most people find themselves dealing with complex alcoholism issues because they do not realize that they are getting into trouble until it is a little bit too late. This is why we are trying to sensitize the masses on the importance of recognizing when a social habit is turning into a problem. If you have any of the following symptoms, it is time to look for help.
- When you are no longer able to control the amount of alcohol you drink. We realized that when we have the diagnostic consultation with our patients, the first thing they admit is that when they set out to drink, they have a maximum amount in mind but always end up taking more than that.
- When you start getting strong urges to drink and start feeling uncomfortable when you haven’t had a drink. There are people that have such a serious problem with drinking that they have symptoms such as shaking hands, and lack of concentration when they are sober.
- When you start failing to meet your duties and obligations in the home, work and other sectors of the society. When you develop alcohol dependency, social and personal responsibilities take the backseat and you start receiving complaints from friends and family about the same.
- If you find yourself using alcohol in situations that are unsafe such as when driving or swimming, you are already in trouble. If you have already gotten into legal problems such as getting DUI’s, being arrested for being drunk and disorderly among others, then you need to start looking for professional help.
- The symptom that indicates that you have a serious issue with alcohol is when you start developing withdrawal symptoms. These include nausea, sweating and shaking when you have not had a drink.
Recognizing these symptoms as early as possible is the best way to deal with dependency before it becomes too much. If you feel that a loved one is already in trouble and would like to get them some help, contact our rehab centre for alcoholics. We have a comprehensive program that helps addicts acknowledge their problem and look for solutions to it.